Sunday 22 January 2012

Tree Lamp 2.0 Part 1

Ok, so here's how to make the lamp.
You will need the following:
- A tree branch about 1.5m long. I used a long dead eucalyptus branch from my local park.
- Bottle of kerosene.
- Some ply wood to act as a base.
- Some wooden right angle brackets (you can make your own or buy them from a hardware store).
- A few meters of electrical cable, I chose 1.5mm flex cable.
- Plug to go on the end of your cable.
- A lamp of your choice that can be easily mounted to your branch.
- A switch of your choice (I used a touch sensor from a touch lamp for one lamp and a normal house switch with a dimmer).
- Wood putty.
- Tin of stain and varnish. Darker the better.
- Wood screws.
- Power drill.
- File or sand paper.
- Wood chisel.

I also suggest having an electrician check your connections before you apply the putty.


First, you take the branch and clean it up. Remove any bark or any sharp protrusions. File the edges to make a nice finish. At the base, make sure it will allow the branch to balance upright. If it isn't a flat base, the branch may place too much stress on the mounting screws later.
If you have any holes made by mites, fill them with kerosene to kill anything that might be hiding. As an added precaution, I filled any unwanted holes with wood putty. Now I only found this method by doing a few online searches. Some sites suggest soaking it bleach, others sticking the branch in an oven. I've now made 2 of these lamps and I've had no bug problems. Your call.


Next, you cut your wooden plywood base to the desired size. Then cut and chisel some notches to allow the 90 degree brackets to make proper contact. Use how ever many brackets you think to keep it up straight, I used 3 on the first lamp and 2 on  the second. Once you have a good fit, you screw everything to the base. I pre drilled holes through the base and screwed everything in from underneath. I didn't take any photos during this part of the build but here's a photo of the finished base to give you an idea.





No comments:

Post a Comment